O Come All Ye Faithful...
It's pretty sad that I'm starting a new blog by reposting old blogs from years past... I would have written something new tonight, but well, I went to see Deals Gone Bad and Mustard Plug in concert and I'm a bit tipsy. And this was a damn good blog several years ago.
Enjoy!
There are a ton of stories I could share with you, but I'm going to talk about our trip to Mass on Christmas Eve.
Now, being Catholic, I'm used to attending Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve night. Well, this year, our Church cancelled Midnight Mass and held it at 5 in the afternoon instead because our Priest is well into his 80s and it was the best possible choice, I guess? I'm not really sure. Anyways, wow... I had no idea what we were walking into when we walked in at 4:30.
Church was packed, that was nice to see... lots of families and lots of little kids. Except, none of these parents had any control over any of their kids whatsoever. Especially where we were sitting. In front of us was a 3 year old little girl who halfway through the service yelled at her dad to "Shut!" meaning "shut up!" so then 4 other children felt the need to scream it. One little boy who couldn't have been more than 4 was across the aisle and 2 rows up from us, well, he didn't see any need to be quiet at all. And you know how it is in Church... you're not supposed to laugh, so when you want to, it's 4 times as hard not to laugh! Well, when this little boy burped during the Gospel, everyone around us began shaking with laughter. He looked so proud of himself! I'm pretty sure I heard him say "Did you hear that? That was me!" So I'm sitting there with a hand over my mouth not laughing, but smiling and shaking slightly and my dad actually hits my leg and tells me to behave. Really? I have to behave when no one else in Church does? Funny. I'm really glad that the Christmas Eve sermons are generally the same, because otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what was said, as I couldn't hear a thing over screaming, laughing, talking, burping children.
Then we hit Communion time, and finally, the dad of this little boy takes him out of the pew and into the back of the Church. I'm thinking finally, we can hear Father for awhile. Nope, 3 minutes later he brings the little boy back. And what does he do? Proudly announces as loud as he can: "Mom, I peed!"
Tell me you wouldn't have laughed. You so would have.
Oh I tell you, Church was wonderful this year. Really, the only thing I could think of as I walked out was how badly I wanted children and how when I do have them, they will be the most well-behaved children in Church.
It's their mother who will be laughing at other children.
Enjoy!
There are a ton of stories I could share with you, but I'm going to talk about our trip to Mass on Christmas Eve.
Now, being Catholic, I'm used to attending Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve night. Well, this year, our Church cancelled Midnight Mass and held it at 5 in the afternoon instead because our Priest is well into his 80s and it was the best possible choice, I guess? I'm not really sure. Anyways, wow... I had no idea what we were walking into when we walked in at 4:30.
Church was packed, that was nice to see... lots of families and lots of little kids. Except, none of these parents had any control over any of their kids whatsoever. Especially where we were sitting. In front of us was a 3 year old little girl who halfway through the service yelled at her dad to "Shut!" meaning "shut up!" so then 4 other children felt the need to scream it. One little boy who couldn't have been more than 4 was across the aisle and 2 rows up from us, well, he didn't see any need to be quiet at all. And you know how it is in Church... you're not supposed to laugh, so when you want to, it's 4 times as hard not to laugh! Well, when this little boy burped during the Gospel, everyone around us began shaking with laughter. He looked so proud of himself! I'm pretty sure I heard him say "Did you hear that? That was me!" So I'm sitting there with a hand over my mouth not laughing, but smiling and shaking slightly and my dad actually hits my leg and tells me to behave. Really? I have to behave when no one else in Church does? Funny. I'm really glad that the Christmas Eve sermons are generally the same, because otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to tell you what was said, as I couldn't hear a thing over screaming, laughing, talking, burping children.
Then we hit Communion time, and finally, the dad of this little boy takes him out of the pew and into the back of the Church. I'm thinking finally, we can hear Father for awhile. Nope, 3 minutes later he brings the little boy back. And what does he do? Proudly announces as loud as he can: "Mom, I peed!"
Tell me you wouldn't have laughed. You so would have.
Oh I tell you, Church was wonderful this year. Really, the only thing I could think of as I walked out was how badly I wanted children and how when I do have them, they will be the most well-behaved children in Church.
It's their mother who will be laughing at other children.
Labels: Burping, Children, Midnight Mass


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home