Breakfast at Wal-Mart

Come along for the ride as I try to find my way to where I'm supposed to be. Whether it be Tiffany's or Wal-Mart, it's bound to be a good time getting there!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Officially in my 30s, still single and realizing that maybe everything's actually going to be okay.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Date Fail... Again!

I got stood up last night.

Remember the guy from a few posts back that I had tried asking out and he was so completely oblivious to the fact that I just let it go? Yeah, he's still in the picture. At least, he was up until last night.

I've spent all summer talking to this guy - I fully enjoyed conversations with him, and all of that... but seriously, even I can get tired of just talking. So three weeks ago, I told him I wasn't going to do this anymore, that no offense, I have enough friends, and if he's not willing to step it up, then well, it's been fun.

He agreed that we should meet and we set tentative plans to have dinner the next week. We agreed on a day, and then it was getting late, so we agreed to confirm details over the weekend.

That dinner never happened.

And in fact, to this day, it's never been brought up. I think I need to start being more demanding and assertive if I ever want to date again.

Then yesterday around noon, I got a text message from him. "Dinner tonight?" he asked. By this point, I wasn't really feeling it, but I thought I at least owed it to myself to give him a chance if he was finally willing to commit to, you know, meeting. So I replied with "Sure. When and where?" We both live on total opposite ends of town, so it would make more sense for us to just meet wherever instead of him picking me up.

An hour later he gets back to me with, "Sorry, seems I was premature, All I have with me is my work clothes and I haven't even thought of where. Can we talk about it later when I leave work?"

Oh hell no. My biggest pet peeve when it comes to first dates is when the guy doesn't have a plan in place. I fully believe (it's even in my dating profile so he can't say that he doesn't know!) that it is up to the guy to come up with a first date plan. After that, I'm okay with throwing in my own ideas, but if you're going to ask someone out, you have to be the one to come up with a plan.

So I said "Okay" and went about my day. Was I surprised when he didn't get back to me? Nope, not one bit. Did I confront him? I wish I could say I did.

I'm defintiely a passive-agressive person. I saw he was on facebook around 9 last night, so I changed my status to "Stood up for dinner, at home with a bottle of wine and listening to Dolly Parton on iTunes, how jealous of my life are you?"

Let's face it, that IS a pretty awesome way to spend a night...

And then I sent him a text message stating, "So, thanks for dinner?"

God, I love technology.

I haven't heard from him since. I'm really not that broken up about it. What I am pissed off about is the fact that I spent an entire summer trying to date this guy and I have nothing to show for it. There are three events this summer I kind of wanted/needed a date for, and now at least one, possibly two of them I will be going solo too. I suppose that's my own fault though, so I can't really blame anyone.

There are a couple of guys I'm talking to again off the dating site (I really don't have the time or energy to go out to the bar to meet people anymore, so I'm last chance-ing it at online dating once again) and I think one or two of them has potential. They both know right off the bat I'm not looking for an email/IM buddy, so hopefully I have better luck this time.

But seriously? Dating blows. I wish I could just jump full on into the relationship part. I rock at that part.

~*~ Big thank you's to everyone who contacted me about yesterday's job blog! Believe me, the bottom line is that I will be leaving, but I've given myself a deadline of one month to get everything in order before I walk out. One month, 12 days of work... I can handle this! Thank you all again!

3 Comments:

Blogger E said...

Glad to hear the side note about the job :) You CAN do it!!!

Ok and seriously?? This guy sounds like a total jerk, which sucks. I know how it is to get your hopes up. Maybe one of the other 2 will work out. But I believe heavily in the rule that you find what your looking for when you least expect and when your not looking. Not sure why but that always seems to be the way it works out!

August 20, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger E said...

PS keep us updated :)

August 20, 2009 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

His loss! But dont give up I met my BF online and we have been together for a lil over 2 years and happily co habitating =D Keep us posted.

August 20, 2009 at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home