Breakfast at Wal-Mart

Come along for the ride as I try to find my way to where I'm supposed to be. Whether it be Tiffany's or Wal-Mart, it's bound to be a good time getting there!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Officially in my 30s, still single and realizing that maybe everything's actually going to be okay.

Monday, March 9, 2009

I Invented Post-Its!

Here's a little background information about me. I grew up in a town smaller than you can imagine. So small, it's actually considered a village, and not a town. There are approximately 200 people in this town. There is a church (Catholic, of course) a gas station, 2 bars, a post office, a hardware store, and one school building that houses kindergarten through twelfth grade. We're all Polish and we're all farmers. Oh, we're also hicks. Everyone knows everyone, and you can sneeze on one side of town and twenty minutes later your grandma is calling your mom because she heard you were dying of pneumonia.

You can bet that I got the hell out of there as soon as I could. I graduated high school in May of 1999 and was gone by August. And I haven't been back since for longer than a week at a time. In fact, I went home for Christmas last year, and the next time I'll be back there is Easter of this year. That's a good chunk of time to go without seeing the family. But anyways.

I never really felt that I fit in there... I always knew I was destined for bigger and greater things. I didn't particularly like my classmates (there were only 38 of them.... and we were a big class) and wasn't all that sad when I moved away. At least three of my classmates have moved to the same town as me and in 10 years, I have not seen them once.

You can tell how broken-hearted I am by this fact, can't you?

So here's my problem. Our ten year reunion is this summer. I have been joking for at least a year that "just watch... our reunion is going to be a bonfire in someone's back yard with cans of PBR"

Turns out, I was not far off.

Our reunion is going to be a cookout. At a hunting camp. It's also potluck. And yes, we still have to pay to show up. I just don't even know.

Sure, cookouts are fun, and hell, even my own family has a hunting camp... but seriously? How is any of this appropriate? The whole idea of a reunion is to show up looking fabulous to make the others insanely jealous of your life.

How am I supposed to do that while wearing a sweatshirt and smelling of insect repellant?

Let's talk about this whole making other people jealous of me too. Let's face it, in a class of 37 (2 classmates have died) there's not much competition. But here's my problem.

I've done nothing with my life really for the last ten years but live it. I haven't finished school, I haven't gotten married, and I certainly didn't have kids. Um, go me?

So I'm sitting here, looking at this form that I'm supposed to fill out with all of the information I want to update my former classmates on. This is what I have so far:

"After many unsuccessful attempts at becoming a castmate on The Real World, Nicole decided that reality tv was meant for watching, not participating. She is currently on her third divorce recognized by the state of Michigan. The other two technically weren't valid marriages because of some pesky forgery on the marriage certficates. As of right now, there are two PPO's taken out against her, one for stalking a certain JustinBobby in Cabo San Lucas, another for throwing herself on the stage as Britney Spears took her encore. Currently, Nicole spends her nights drinking wine and practicing the Tyra Banks Next Top Model Runway Stomp on her hardwood floors. She is more fabulous than you, and her boobs are bigger than yours ever will be."

Somehow, I'm thinking that's not going to work. They wouldn't understand the humor. Hell, half of them wouldn't get it if I said "I invented Post-its."

Ugh. Do I go? Do I not go? Such decisions. Did you go to your reunion? Or, if it hasn't come around yet, do you plan on going?

And more importantly, who wants to crash mine with me? There may not be any PBR, but there sure as hell will be Natty Light. And I'll spring for the vodka.

7 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

i, for one, love your little about me excerpt. it's sassy and snarky and completely unapologetic about not being what everyone else thinks you should be or should have accomplished. i say go for it and show them all how fabulous you are without conforming to all the stereotypical gauges of success they all subscribe to (and are probably miserable in doing so.)

just make sure you get good and liquored up before you show up. it makes consuming natty light that much easier! :]

March 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your town of 200 has TWO bars? my. kind. of. ratio.

my class was a little bigger than that, but i still don't know what i'll do this time next year when our 10-year hits.

March 9, 2009 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger erin - heart in ireland said...

the little blurb you wrote = brilliant.

and the i invented post it notes = that is a hilarious movie.

i think it would be interesting to go to, mine isn't for a while, but i would love to go. i haven't seen more than about 15 people from hs since graduation.

March 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger It's Amanda Yo! said...

First off, I love your "about me." Totally Awesome!

Secondly, 200 people and 2 bars? Nice! My town has like 175,000 people and 3 bars...and over 90 (yes 90) churches.

I think if you don't really have anyone in particular that you want to see, and you aren't dying to go, then skip it. I don't think I'll go to mine.

March 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MMM VODKA. . .

My class is having a ten year reunion?

March 10, 2009 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger erin - heart in ireland said...

just wanted to let you know that i love you blog and i've awarded you the lemonade blog award :)

March 10, 2009 at 6:31 AM  
Blogger Oats said...

I'm totally going to go to my reunion despite getting kicked out of grad school, not having a job, almost being institutionalized but then my wife intervened and got me to just have to go for the day program - mental hospital nonetheless for 6 weeks which (see above) ended in me getting kicked from grad school. I have a worthless Master's degree, I had high prospects and I've made nothing of myself. I can't get a menial job because I'm overqualified.... so

I still have my pimp suit and cane with a jaguar at the end of it. I plan on pimping it up and drinking a ton a red bull to make myself manic as hell - then I'll just tell all the stories of what I actually have done in the past 10 years.

Now I just need some croc skin pimp shoes.

March 10, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home