Breakfast at Wal-Mart

Come along for the ride as I try to find my way to where I'm supposed to be. Whether it be Tiffany's or Wal-Mart, it's bound to be a good time getting there!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan

Officially in my 30s, still single and realizing that maybe everything's actually going to be okay.

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I'm Addicted to Texting, Are You?

I admit it, I rock at the texting. I'm a champion of the T9 function, and yes, I text while driving. I also use proper spelling and punctuation while doing so.

But even I know that texting on a date is rude. Apparently, not many people do. In fact, Fox News felt the need to report on this.

Note to Cell Phone Junkies: Txtng + Date = :(

My favorite quote from the entire article? Aside from that clearly awesome title, of course:

"Oh, the fun of pretending to be interested in what someone else is typing to someone you don't know," says an exasperated Tyler Barnett, a 25-year-old businessman in Los Angeles who calls himself a "textaholic" but says he rarely does it on a date."

Tyler brings up a good point. What do you do if you're on a date and the other person is sitting there, spending his time texting someone else instead of you know, paying attention to you.

If you're me, you either sneak their keys off the table and feign ignorance for a good 15 minutes while they try to find them, or you add as many packets of splenda to their drink as you can without them knowing.

I've also been known to take the phone away from them, remove the battery, and not give it back until the end of the date.

And then I'm known as the bitchy rude one. Oh well.

Although, I will fully admit to having used text messaging to save me from awful dates. I'm the Queen of sneaking off to the ladies room and firing off a text to the BFF that says "Plan B! Plan B! t-minus 3 minutes."

And then in three minutes, my phone goes off and what do you know? It's an emergency and I have to leave.

Is that hypocrisy? I don't think so. It's not like I sat there texting through an entire date.

What are your thoughts? Are you textaholics? Do you text through dates to avoid having to talk to the other person?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I admit, I have ripped a phone out of a girls hand to remove the battery to stop her texting. In the end, she thanked me, but we never went out again.

March 4, 2009 at 9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am totally a textaholic! i've never had the "texting during a date" situation though - here's hoping i never do...?

March 4, 2009 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

I think texting on dates is beyond rude. Even when I'm with my friends I find it annoying if they're constantly texting. If you're going to spend time with me, spend time with me, don't be talking to other people. It's like going on a date and talking on your phone the entire time. I can't stand it.

March 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM  
Blogger erin - heart in ireland said...

I'm not a textaholic. I don't do it much but in Ireland it is done more than actually using your phone to call.

And uugh, I hate it when people text when you are out with them!

March 5, 2009 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Oats said...

Nothing beats having dinner where 3 of the 6 people at the table are texting friends throughout the entire meal and conversations are interrupted by the various ringtones which are never silenced.

I have a querty, so I use proper punctuation. I can't drive and text except at reds, but in general, I'm not really a textwhore.

It seriously interferes with my ability to be an asshole to those who are on their phones or are texting. :p

March 5, 2009 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

I am VERY punctuation-ally correct when texting. I don't use shorthand. "R U goin 2 the cncrt 2nite?" makes me angry. I guess its because I have a qwerty.

My ex and I both used to text while out with each other, but not obsessively. I have a friend of mine who does it crazy often, and I had to tell her about it.

Once, a guy answered his phone while we were waking up one morning. It was his best friend aka ex girlfriend.

Oy.

March 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home