Michigan is Basically Canada Anyways
There was a time in my life, oh about three years ago now (wow, only three?) when I was involved in an International Love Affair. Okay so what if Toronto is only 6 hours from Grand Rapids, it’s still a different country! For some time, I truly believed I would be marrying The Canadian. That is, until I realized he was a liar, still lived with his ex-girlfriend, and well, had no real intention of spending forever with me; no matter what he said when he was in Michigan. But that’s an entirely different blog for an entirely different time. I’ve realized something today, in my cold-medicine induced hazed.
You see, this entire week, I’ve been confined to my house, possibly dying from a head cold, leaving me with little to do but watch tv and reorganize my iTunes collection. It was this afternoon that I realized something I never thought I’d say after the Great Break-Up of 2006.
I was meant to be Canadian.
Okay, probably not. But I do love most things Canadian. At least, pop culture wise. And that’s enough, right? Isn’t it?
When I was little, my favorite books to read were the Anne of Green Gables series, and I desperately wanted to live on Prince Edward Island. I recently reread this series, and still, wouldn’t mind visiting Green Gables one day.
Music? I adore Chantal Kreviazuk. Absolutely one of my top ten favorite singers. Heather Nova? Sarah McLachlan? Barenaked Ladies? Esthero? They’re all awesome. Yes, even Bryan Adams and Celine Dion.
Shut up. You know you have Summer of ‘69 and It’s All Coming Back to Me Now on your iPod. It’s okay, I won’t tell.
Sarah Polley is one of my all-time favorite actresses, and the only way I know of her is from playing Ramona Quimby, and the movies Go and My Life Without Me.
But the two best things to come out of Canada for me, pop culturally?
Hell yes, I’m talking about Degrassi: The Next Generation and Total Drama Island.
Hi, my name is Nicole, I’m 28 years old and prefer watching teen dramas and cartoons to anything else on tv.
Don’t judge me.
Seriously, have you seen Total Drama Island? For us Americans, a hilariously edited version of the show is on Cartoon Network, and if you’ve ever watched a single reality tv show, this one will make you laugh. I mean, what’s better then watching a cartoon reality show, waiting each week to see who gets voted off the island? And even worse, caring who wins.
Yes, I am ashamed I just typed that. We won’t even talk about my Paige/Spinner love of years ago. Or the fact that Lifetime is airing the best made-for-tv movie about teens with syphilis starring Emma on Saturday. Can you say Awesome?
It’s really too bad The Canadian also turned out to be The Asshat. I so would have fit it living in Toronto.
You see, this entire week, I’ve been confined to my house, possibly dying from a head cold, leaving me with little to do but watch tv and reorganize my iTunes collection. It was this afternoon that I realized something I never thought I’d say after the Great Break-Up of 2006.
I was meant to be Canadian.
Okay, probably not. But I do love most things Canadian. At least, pop culture wise. And that’s enough, right? Isn’t it?
When I was little, my favorite books to read were the Anne of Green Gables series, and I desperately wanted to live on Prince Edward Island. I recently reread this series, and still, wouldn’t mind visiting Green Gables one day.
Music? I adore Chantal Kreviazuk. Absolutely one of my top ten favorite singers. Heather Nova? Sarah McLachlan? Barenaked Ladies? Esthero? They’re all awesome. Yes, even Bryan Adams and Celine Dion.
Shut up. You know you have Summer of ‘69 and It’s All Coming Back to Me Now on your iPod. It’s okay, I won’t tell.
Sarah Polley is one of my all-time favorite actresses, and the only way I know of her is from playing Ramona Quimby, and the movies Go and My Life Without Me.
But the two best things to come out of Canada for me, pop culturally?
Hell yes, I’m talking about Degrassi: The Next Generation and Total Drama Island.
Hi, my name is Nicole, I’m 28 years old and prefer watching teen dramas and cartoons to anything else on tv.
Don’t judge me.
Seriously, have you seen Total Drama Island? For us Americans, a hilariously edited version of the show is on Cartoon Network, and if you’ve ever watched a single reality tv show, this one will make you laugh. I mean, what’s better then watching a cartoon reality show, waiting each week to see who gets voted off the island? And even worse, caring who wins.
Yes, I am ashamed I just typed that. We won’t even talk about my Paige/Spinner love of years ago. Or the fact that Lifetime is airing the best made-for-tv movie about teens with syphilis starring Emma on Saturday. Can you say Awesome?
It’s really too bad The Canadian also turned out to be The Asshat. I so would have fit it living in Toronto.


2 Comments:
I'm Canadian! I too love Degrassi: Next Generation...sorry about the asshat ex though. I hope it doesn't reflect poorly on us as a whole.
I thought Michiganians were supposed to, nee, REQUIRED to fake-hate and mock all things Canadian!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home